Boys & Girls Aid

Frequently Asked Questions on Foster Care at Boys & Girls Aid

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)Become A
Foster Parent

Click on any question to view its answer.

Why should I become a foster parent with Boys & Girls Aid?

Boys & Girls Aid offers support and guidance to make sure you are successful as a foster parent. We provide a competitive stipend, between $1,240 and $1,550, to ensure our foster parents do not feel financially burdened by their commitment. We also offer paid respite care to give foster parents time for themselves. Our staff is experienced and available to assist you any time of the day, regardless of holiday and late night needs. We also hold an annual foster parent appreciation party to show how much we value your involvement in the lives of children in need.

Do I get paid for caring for foster youth?

Foster parents receive a tax-free stipend to cover the increase in living expenses associated with caring for a foster youth. The foster parent stipend can range from $1,240 to $1,550, depending on which foster care program. These costs can include groceries, utilities, gas, and sometimes personal items such as clothing. We also encourage foster parents to use the stipend for activities with youth, such as bowling outings, movie nights, or museum visits.

How long do the children stay in my home?

The length of a foster youth’s stay varies. Some youth will be in the home for just a few days, while others can stay for up to one year. When you are certified, you will be associated with a specific foster care program and will either have children for short-term placements (1-90 days) or for longer-term placements (9-12 months).

What part of the state do you serve?

Boys & Girls Aid foster homes are in the tri-county Portland Metropolitan area, which includes Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties. Transportation and proximity to Boys & Girls Aid locations are important in choosing a foster home, as our youth often receive services at both our main office in Southwest Portland and other locations in Southeast Portland. Unfortunately, due to state restrictions, we are unable to certify homes anywhere in the state of Washington.

How is this different from being a foster parent with Department of Human Services (DHS)?

The support we offer youth and foster parents is different from that of the Department of Human Services (DHS). Our foster parents receive round-the-clock support as well as small group training tailored to build skills and knowledge to assist with the vital work of being a foster parent. While in our care, youth are fully supported through services such as individual and group counseling, skill building and individualized plans.

I have a full-time job. Can I still be a foster parent?

Many of our foster parents have full-time jobs and work with a Boys & Girls Aid foster care program that does not require full-time availability.

Can I become dually certified with Boys & Girls Aid and DHS or another agency?

No, our foster parents cannot be dual certified If you are currently certified with another agency, but would like to become a Boys & Girls Aid foster parent, the training and certification process may be quicker and easier for you.

Is it okay that I have my own children in the home?

Yes, many of our foster parents are currently parenting their own children. Our foster care team will ensure to place a foster youth that will fit well with your current family dynamic. However, a foster youth cannot share a bedroom with your children Your own children can share a bedroom with each other.

Do I need to own my home?

Our foster parents can either rent or own their home. Whether it is a rental or owned home, there must be a separate bedroom for the foster child(ren).

Do my partner and I both have to attend all three training days?

Yes, attending all three days is mandatory for each person becoming certified as a foster parent. Our trainings are designed to prepare you to work successfully with Boys & Girls Aid and with the youth we serve.